How to set date/time?
- Tap OK once to stop recording mode.
- Tap Menu button once.
- Tap down arrow once to highlight "General Settings" and Tap OK once to access General Settings Menu.
- Tap down arrow a couple times to highlight "Date/Time" option then Tap OK.
- Use Up/Down arrows to adjust the "Year" then Tap OK to apply your changes and move to next option.
- Repeat step 5 to adjust "Month", "Day", "Hour", "Minutes", (Seconds is optional).
- Tap OK to exit Date/Time Setup.
- Tap Menu button twice to exit Menu and return to video recording mode.
How to delete protected files?
- Tap OK once to stop recording mode.
- Tap Mode (M) button twice to see the list of recorded video files.
- Tap Menu button once to access Playback menu.
- Tap on down arrow twice, select the "Protect" option and press OK to see the 4 protect icons listed in the order below.
- Protect a file.
- Un-protect a file.
- Protect ALL files.
- Un-protect ALL files.
5) Tap down arrow 3 times to select the "Unprotect ALL" files option.
6) Tap OK once. To un-protect video files, simply tap OK two more times. To unprotect picture files, select the picture camera icon then tap OK twice.
7) Tap the UP arrow to select "Delete" option then press OK.
8) Tap down arrow once to delete (ALL files). Press OK 3 times to delete video files.
9) Tap Menu once button to exit Playback menu.
10) Tap Mode button twice to return to Video Recording screen.
How do I stop and start recording video?
Press the OK button. The Red Record Dot starts flashing or stops flashing, and the record duration changes to display total time recorded.
Can I power up and record with my CDR840 using a USB cable?
Yes, however it must be plugged into a (5V,1A ) mini USB "power cord" in the vehicle or a USB charge block on the wall outlet . The camera will not record while connected to a USB port on a computer.
Why does my dash cam say ‘SD Card Full’ when I have it set to ‘Loop record’?
That may be a problem with the SD card, or the user may be locking files manually by tapping on the orange button which caused the SD card to get full of locked files and the unit stopped recording. The SD card must be formated by Tapping Menu button once, Select General Settings, then scroll down and select "Format", tap OK button, select the (O) to apply. That should fix the issue. If it doesn’t, then it would be necessary to try a new SD card.
How can I playback my recordings on a different device such as an Ipad, Tablet or Netbook?
Video footage can be viewed by either of the following: USB port, HDMI port, or SD card slot.
Can I hardwire the CDR840?
The camera operates on 5V,1A. It is recommended to power it using the included power cord. However, you may also operate it using an aftermarket mini USB wiring kit. It may also be powered through a USB charge block on AC wall outlet, (Not on a PC).
What is the difference between ‘Auto Power Off’ and ‘Idle Power Off’?
a. Auto power off is when the camera shuts off after losing power to it. (Turning engine off)
b. Idle power off is when the camera is turned ON, but not recording.
How can I use the dash cam as a PC camera?
It requires having a video chatt application such as Skype installed and running on your computer.
How can I play back my recordings on the dash cam and delete them?
Please refer to page 9 of the owner’s manual here: https://www.cobra.com/sites/default/files/manuals/CDR840E_MANL.pdf
My dash cam powers off even when the power cord is connected, why?
a. Please make sure the power cord is properly inserted on both ends. You may try a different power cord for testing purposes to see if the problem is the cord.
b. If you made menu changes, I would recommend restoring default settings, very likely either “idle power off” or “auto power off” feature is enabled.
c. If problem continues after restoring default settings and trying a new power cord, the unit needs warranty service. Call our Customer Care Group at 773 889 3087.
What size fuse does the power cord for the dash cams use?
I am looking for an AC adapter to use at home, what would be the volts/amps for the AC adaptor?
Cobra dash cams operate on 5VDC, 1A.
How can I play my videos from the CDR 840 on my PC or Mac?
There is a Cobra Drive HD Player for Windows and a third party player for MAC available here: https://www.cobra.com/support/software-downloads
What is the operating temperature of dash cams?
Operating temp -10°C to +60°C
Storage temp -20°C to +60°C
What is the biggest size SD card I can use on my CDR840?
32GB is the biggest size supported.
I want to purchase a replacement SD card. What type should I get?
Please note, you may use a standard SD card. However, for best video quality, we recommend using Class 6 or Class 10 SD cards.
What does it mean when the LED is Red/Green/Orange?
Green = Battery fully charged. Red = Battery is charging. Orange = Display is off but camera is still on ("Screen Saver" is enabled in the menu)
Why isn't my camera loop recording automatically?
The video clip time is probably set to (X). In order for it to loop, it MUST be set to 3,5 or 10 minutes. Check video settings.